When your husband calls and says he wants to put up board and batten, what’s a girl to do except say, umm yes please!
We’ve been talking about installing board and batten in our dining room for probably two years. We just never got around to it until now. Our home has a very open floor plan. Which is what we originally wanted, only now that we’ve lived here a while, we realize sometimes a little separation isn’t so bad. By installing the board and batten it defines the space a little better, which works for me.
So off to Menards we went and dug right in.
pine boards (you could use MDF, or whatever you prefer)
We got started by choosing the height we wanted the board and batten to be. Nothing fancy here, we just picked a height we liked. That’s the beauty, you can tailor this to your preference. We used the laser level and marked our walls.
FYI, some might consider painting the walls first before anything. We thought about it, but figured since we’d have to paint a final coat anyhow, that we’d just do all the painting when done. Do what works for you.
We chose to use 3″pine boards for the vertical (batten) pieces and 1×4″ boards for the horizontal piece and got busy cutting them to size. We installed them using the brad nailer and it was a fairly speedy process. We first installed the 1×4 boards, followed the 3″ batten boards.
Figuring out the spacing between the batten was a bit tricky, because no matter what spacing we chose we always ran into a problem, whether it was the position of a window, outlets or a turn in the wall. So, eventually we just picked 12″ spacing. The spacing did have to be decreased along the window wall, but you wouldn’t really notice it unless pointed out. So, if you come to our home, pretend you never read this.
Choose spacing that is the most visually appealing for your area size. We could get away with smaller spacing because it wasn’t a large area we were using board and batten. If you have a larger area you’re covering, you might consider 14-16″ spacing.
Installing the board and batten took maybe 3-4 hrs, including the cut time between the two of us…and while wrangling the kiddos because as you can see, they had to help too.
Once it was installed I lightly sanded all pieces using 120 grit sandpaper and a detail sander (it’s the one with the triangle pads)
Then it was time for primer. After a little debating (as husband and wife’s tend to do) we agreed to use primer followed by Muralo white paint. The debate was I already had paint I planned to use, therefore we wouldn’t have to buy new. But, Rick won this time, pointing out that with white walls and messy kids, we want to use something as non-staining and easy to clean as possible. How can I argue with that? So, we went with Muralo satin white paint. Apparently it’s as close to an oil based paint (that’s still water based) you can get. It should provide great stain resistance, easy clean up and isn’t supposed to yellow. We shall see.
We applied one coat of primer, followed by two coats of paint and are thrilled with the outcome! So much that Rick now wants to tackle the upstairs hallway. And it only took me two years to convince him this was a good idea…
Not including the paint, this project cost an estimated $50! Not too shabby. It did take us about three days to finish from the very start to very end, but that’s mostly because the kids need to do things like eat and have their diapers changed. And play. Lots of playing.
Soon, you’ll be seeing that other Ikea hack I previously mentioned as we continue to update the dining room. The board and batten just took precedence.